[mythtvnz] OTish Online TV via Telstra 'Ziln'

Alick Wilson alick.wilson at braithwaite.co.nz
Thu Sep 10 00:15:15 BST 2009

They say 'Another first for New Zealand Internet'. It's not true, TVNZ on
Demand does much the same and has been around for some time.

I checked out Ziln:
- full screen high quality (768kbps) on 24" 1080 LCD monitor is rather poor,
well below SD quality on 46" LCD HDTV.
- traffic is not zero rated on my broadband plan (TelstraClear cable) and
and overage cost is about $1 per hour (~ 300 MB/hour).

I also checked out TVNZ on Demand:
- full screen high quality (700kbps) on 24" 1080 LCD monitor is rather poor,
well below SD quality on 46" LCD HDTV.
- traffic is not zero rated on my broadband plan (TelstraClear cable) and
and overage cost is about $1 per hour (~ 300 MB/hour).
- traffic is zero rated on Orcon.

Given the per hour cost, I have little interest in either of these services
as a replacement for terrestrial or satellite TV.

Both of these services use Adobe Flash Player.

Alick Wilson