[mythtvnz] HVR-3000 mythtv Linux 2.6.29+ kernel help?

Julius Spencer jspencer at juliusspencer.co.nz
Fri Sep 4 06:58:52 BST 2009

>     >>>> I have a new tuner card (HVR-3000) which is an upgrade from the
>     >>>> simple
>     >>>> HVR-150. I'm planning on installing using DVB-S input for
>     Freeview
>     >>>> (from sky dish) as well as the Sky into the analog input.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> The card appears to be recognised as it shows up correctly in
>     mythtv-
>     >>>> setup and dmesg looks happy too. I upgraded my kernel
>     specifically,
>     >>>> as
>     >>>> it is supposed to support this chipset.
>     >>>>
>     >>>> I can't seem to get any signal from the analogue input. In fact
>     >>>> when I
>     >>>> scanned the DVB-S input I didn't have much luck either. I tried
>     >>>> kaffeine and using either scandvb or dvbscan or something
>     from the
>     >>>> cli
>     >>>> too.
>

> I have one of these cards in my own mythbox, up until the move of
> Prime onto satellite, it was being used for its analog inputs. (I have
> two Skystar2 cards as well) I managed at one point to get Kaffeine to
> show the DVB-T signals, but ran into trouble working out how it
> switches between modes (analogue, DVBS, DVBT, ) and am now mainly
> interested in whether I can get the terrestrial high def signals
> sorted with it in myth.
>
> I will be keen to watch for your progress.
>
> Regards
>
> Barry Clearwater
> Email: barryc at bcsystems.co.nz <mailto:barryc at bcsystems.co.nz>

Hi Barry,

I got the DVBS going last night. I have found the sound from the analog
to be a bit fuzzy and the aspect ratio isn't right either. The DVBS
works perfectly. It seems to have picked up multiple TV ONE, TV2 etc so
I'm not sure how that's all going to pan out. Maybe I'll just remove
them from the channel list...

To scan the channels I downloaded a dvb tool for tuning I think. I'll
try post back how I did it. I had to compile it as I couldn't find a
suitable RPM. I did that just to prove the concept. Then it worked out
in mythtv-setup.

Cheers,
Julius.