[mythtvnz] The Paradigm Shift

Barry Clearwater barryc at bcsystems.co.nz
Tue Oct 27 22:03:58 GMT 2009

2009/10/28 David Zanetti <dave2 at wetstring.net>

> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 17:26 +1300, Brett Miller wrote:
> > First must thank all who have made MythTV what it is...BUT let's stir up
> the
> > nest...
> >
> > What watching LiveTV paradigm shift..it's a feature !
> >
> > Kind of funny how "LiveTV" has become the old paradigm just because it
> does
> > not work properly.

I would not be without Myth by choice anymore, but I have trouble agreeing
with all the "works for me" people fully.

Has nobody ever seen myth jump back to a blue screen with something like
"video not working" at the bottom? And nobody else ever had the annoying
"Mythtv wants to record on this channel in 10 seconds... (Blah blah from
memory and I *loosely* paraphrase) either answer yes or no to cancel the
recording and we don't care if your not holding a keyboard, or go back to
the main menu and try something else"
And nobody else tried to switch cards and it didn't work?
Brent is right about fixing bugs, I think we all get feature crazy (some
other competing box out there?) and forget that not all things are fixed.
Perhaps somebody could build a box from scratch with simple steps and tell
us what works and what doesn't ?

On the plus side, we fairly regularly watch something or other on live TV
and if you don't muck around with it heaps it plays ok.

Good discussion :-)

--

Barry Clearwater
Email: barryc at bcsystems.co.nz