[mythtvnz] The Paradigm Shift

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:02:35 GMT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM, David Zanetti <dave2 at wetstring.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 17:26 +1300, Brett Miller wrote:
>> First must thank all who have made MythTV what it is...BUT let's stir up the
>> nest...
>>
>> What watching LiveTV paradigm shift..it's a feature !
>>
>> Kind of funny how "LiveTV" has become the old paradigm just because it does
>> not work properly.
>
> I don't believe that it not working "properly" (note: properly is often
> in MythTV a matter of opinion!) is the reason behind the shift. It takes
> people a while, but eventually you stop consuming media as broadcast.
> I've seen many people who aren't geeks come to that realisation given it
> allows them to skip ads and to cherry pick in ways they didn't before.

Exactly, refer also to the shift (in markets that can access them) to
hulu, netflix, iPlayer, TVNZ on demand, et al. Many many people use
services like hulu in the US to watch what they want, when they want,
with less adverts. I have seen many people on the -users mailing list
say they will probably give up their cable subscription and replace it
with hulu.

Not to mention the more underground bittorrent, newsgroups etc etc,
which can also ne used in accordance with a time shifting paradigm.