[mythtvnz] Debating the ionitx - single or dual core?

Steve Lang steve.lang at spl.co.nz
Fri Oct 16 11:25:15 BST 2009

Hiya.

Tortise wrote:
> [...]
>
> Thanks for taking the initiative Steve, very interesting.  At a guess there are two people living in your house?  Did you import the
> kit direct from US?

No probs.

Not quite nuclear (how do you get 2.4 kids and not get arrested by Sue
Bradford?)... Me, wife, 2  kids (5 and 6 weeks). Wife and I have vastly
different tastes shall we say. WAF very important (isn't it always?)
Figured that this would do until the kids were old enough to justify a
TV in their room, by which time we should have had another shift in tech
anyway, or at least better prices for a 8x4 true matrix with built in
single CAT5 Baluns or something.

Yes, I brought them in from US, aint the internet grand! Rapalloav have
a lot of similar stuff, but their Baluns require 2 Cat5's, and their 4x2
TrueMatrix switch that I bought failed on passing audio from the Toppie.
Homeavcables were reasonable for shipping on the Baluns, hdtvsupply was
a bit more. Both sets had multi-voltage supplies (110 - 240) and so with
the help of a pair of pliers and a twist of the american power pins, and
they all worked. Was on a mission to make it work, so gritted teeth and
didn't look at the bill(s)...

Learnt a lot about EDID etc. One panel is a Sony LCD (1366 x whatever)
the other a panasonic (1024 x 768), so there is some complexity there
when both are on the same source (what panel capabilities do you send to
the source?)

The hdtvsupply 4x2 truematrix switch was worth it's weight in gold. It
actually does a good job of sending the right EDID to the source. The
topfiled TF6000PVR ES wasn't sending audio through the equivalent switch
that I purchased locally. Haven't attempted to use the IR routing
function, but the way I understand it works is that it routes IR codes
from the two receivers (one per panel that is connected to outputs) to
the specific input that that output is connected to.
> It will be interesting to see how it fares when ICT tokens are broadcast etc.  I have to wonder what sort of consumer reaction will
> occur when ICT are implemented - and suddenly things break....

Ahhh, yeah. I kind of refuse to pay any rupert murdoch tax, so don't
have sky, so it's not really been a problem. The truematrix switch is
listed on the site as working with the HD Tivo's, so a reasonable
assumption is that if they implement the copy protection on pay per view
material (internet downloads), that it should still play through the
switch. The Balun's will be interesting....
> Hollywood will be hoping it is minimal and sporadic however I am not so sure it will be sparse and sporadic.  I wonder if it might
> be somewhat more...?

Here's hoping that they don't cock it up - I finally have decent quality
broadcast and 'recorded' material in two rooms..... (that can be patched
into other rooms) and I don't want to have to do a tech refresh to
support a new favourite show.

BTW: House is now wired with 2 x Cat5 (well, Cat5e) and 1 RG6 into each
room, including the main TV. So, can reconfigure the lounge by moving
the TV cabinet to any other point in the house. 1 x Cat5 for ethernet to
central switch (wifes wardrobe - he he he he he!) 1 x Cat5 for HDMI out
from 4x2 truematrix hdmi switch (located with main a/v gear) and the RG6
is for incoming Satellite and UHF (combined and amplified in, you
guessed it, the wifes wardrobe. I mean, I did it all for her!)

My view was that if I can't do it with 2 x Cat5 and a RG6, then it's not
worth the hassle (don't need everything...)

In my research, I did find devices (from Gefen I think) that would
actually run HDMI over RG6 and the like, but at something like over a
grand per end, wasn't gonna go there....

Cheers -