[mythtvnz] Debating the ionitx - single or dual core?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Oct 16 09:19:58 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Lang" <steve.lang at spl.co.nz>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Debating the ionitx - single or dual core?

Hey.

Tortise wrote:
> [...]
Even though you didn't ask me.... thought I'd mention the Balun's that I
use:
http://homeavcables.com/hdmi-c5s.html

They work well - the EDID learning is great, and they seem to work
pretty much perfectly. Once every coupla months i may have to restart
them and need to 'tune' the equalisation to ensure no dropouts when
someone turns on the lights (equalisation depends on the cable run
length). The second Cat5 in most hdmi Baluns is generally only used for
EDID (via. the DDC channel?) and a single CAT5 can be used for all the
tmds (incl. audio) signals for the standard colour/resolutions . Some of
them state that you can use only 1 pair if you don't need to care about
EDID. Not sure how HDCP works in these scenarios (don't think I have
ever tried playing anything that is HDCP protected.....). In theory,
hdcp is meant to be carried through end-end and multiplexed over the
single Cat-5 with the TMDS stuff, but I don't think my Baluns do that.
Anyway, it works for me...

I have one of the outputs of my 4x2 True Matrix HDMI switch
(http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x2-hdmi-matrix-switch.html running through
them to the bedroom. HDMI quality incl. sound all over a single Cat-5
(through my patch panel in the wardrobe). Nice. That also means that the
second Cat5 is used for Ethernet.

So, I have all my media stuff in the lounge, multiple sources (Oppo
980H, Topfield TF6000PVR ES, HDX1000) in lounge and any output (lounge
TV or Bedroom via. Baluns above) can be on any or the same source. Next
month I'll throw a Tivo at it (4th input on 4x2 matrix), and after that
replace either the Oppo or HDX with a mythbox...

Cheers -

Thanks for taking the initiative Steve, very interesting.  At a guess there are two people living in your house?  Did you import the
kit direct from US?

It will be interesting to see how it fares when ICT tokens are broadcast etc.  I have to wonder what sort of consumer reaction will
occur when ICT are implemented - and suddenly things break....

Hollywood will be hoping it is minimal and sporadic however I am not so sure it will be sparse and sporadic.  I wonder if it might
be somewhat more...?