[mythtvnz] Overlapped recordings on ivtv cards?

Simon Green simon at simongreen.name
Sun Nov 22 13:27:59 GMT 2009

2009/11/22 Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>

> I like to have 1 minute of pre-roll on some of my Sky recordings, so
> that I do not miss the beginnings of programs, and usually at least 1
> minute of post-roll too so as not to miss the endings.  That is
> causing problems as I only have one S-Video input from my PVR-500 ivtv
> card connected to my Sky decoder, and it seems that MythTV is not
> recording both programs when the pre/post roll causes overlapped
> times.

If you set the pre/post-roll in the setup (Settings -> Setup -> TV Settings
-> General -> General (Advance) as opposed to setting them for a specific
recording and two shows go head-to-toe, MythTV is cleaver enough to start
and stop the show on time, and not record the pre/post-roll.

If you set the pre/post-roll for the actual recording, then MythTV will
enforce that the pre/post-roll be recorded, and consider it a conflict (and
based on your rules not record one show)

>  It would be nice if I could just get it to record two programs
> at the same time when there is overlap.  Is there some setup somewhere
> that I have missed that will make this work?  Would going into the
> database manually and setting the option for multirec to 2 work?

That won't work. See below.

> I guess I could get a second SCART cable and connect the second
> PVR-500 tuner, since it is not used for anything, but SCART cables are
> expensive.  Can you get Sky to give you a second one?

That unfortunately won't work since the Sky decoder can only show one
channel at a time. A second scart cable will only mean that you will one
show twice. The only way around this is to rent a second Sky decoder.

  -- simon