[mythtvnz] Overlapped recordings on ivtv cards?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Nov 22 14:35:47 GMT 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:27:59 +1000, you wrote:

>2009/11/22 Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
>
>> I like to have 1 minute of pre-roll on some of my Sky recordings, so
>> that I do not miss the beginnings of programs, and usually at least 1
>> minute of post-roll too so as not to miss the endings.  That is
>> causing problems as I only have one S-Video input from my PVR-500 ivtv
>> card connected to my Sky decoder, and it seems that MythTV is not
>> recording both programs when the pre/post roll causes overlapped
>> times.
>

>If you set the pre/post-roll in the setup (Settings -> Setup -> TV Settings
>-> General -> General (Advance) as opposed to setting them for a specific
>recording and two shows go head-to-toe, MythTV is cleaver enough to start
>and stop the show on time, and not record the pre/post-roll.
>
>If you set the pre/post-roll for the actual recording, then MythTV will
>enforce that the pre/post-roll be recorded, and consider it a conflict (and
>based on your rules not record one show)
>

>>  It would be nice if I could just get it to record two programs
>> at the same time when there is overlap.  Is there some setup somewhere
>> that I have missed that will make this work?  Would going into the
>> database manually and setting the option for multirec to 2 work?
>>

>That won't work. See below.
>

>> I guess I could get a second SCART cable and connect the second
>> PVR-500 tuner, since it is not used for anything, but SCART cables are
>> expensive.  Can you get Sky to give you a second one?
>>

>That unfortunately won't work since the Sky decoder can only show one
>channel at a time. A second scart cable will only mean that you will one
>show twice. The only way around this is to rent a second Sky decoder.
>
>  -- simon

You are absolutely right, in the general case.  But what I completely
failed to explain is that I am dealing with two programs that are back
to back on the same Sky channel (two episodes of Mythbusters).  Since
the channel does not have to be changed, there is no reason that
MythTV could not record the pre- and post-roll for both programs, and
that is exactly what happens on DVB-T with multirec enabled.  I will
have to have a look at how multirec is implemented and see if it would
work with an ivtv input.