[mythtvnz] DVB multicasting

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:24:11 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> [...]

Getting quite OT now but if you want remote access I recommend a setup
that looks something like this:

You have a linux mail server (use your mythbackend if you don't want
another linux box). Have it collect all your email from your ISP and
deliver it to an imap server. It will also sort your email into
folders and look for spam.

Set up your email clients from within your LAN to use imap. That way
you get the same view of your email no matter what client and what OS
you use. It gives you an opportunity to try different clients too,
without creating a hodge podge of pop clients all over the place. With
imap all your mail stays on the server (until you delete it of
course).

For access outside your LAN use a webmail server like roundcube,
squirrelmail etc. As long as you have a reasonable browser it doesn't
matter which OS you are using to view your mail.

Of course you can also run imap from outside the lan, but the efficacy
depends on your ISP speeds.

I ran a setup like this for years, mail server at the office, various
email clients doing imap at the office on win2k, various email clients
doing imap at home on win2k and linux, web mail for use on holiday,
friend's houses etc. When I lost the ability to run the server at the
office I switched to gmail, which although not ideal, is pretty damn
handy.