[mythtvnz] VDPAU package can be removed?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:20:03 BST 2009

Hi

2009/5/11 Aaron Drysdale <Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com>:
> I should have mentioned, I'm using the 185.18.04 driver. So you're saying disabling composite shouldn't be required with this driver? I definately had to do it, as I got some tearing otherwise. Strange.

It should, at least that's what nvidia is saying...
It's in the list of changes in their description

> Hmmm.... I wasn't aware of this, but that would explain my other post earlier today about high CPU usage. Do you know of the reason for this? Do you have a link with an explanation, or any workaround? When I use VDPAU, I get "micro pauses" ever few minutes, which effectively stops me from using it. If I went back to an earlier driver version (180.51?) would this stop? When I switch back to the Xv renderer, every now and again the CPU on Mythfrontend climbs to 80%-100%. It happens on some process in the X11R6 folder. Fortunately, as I have a quad core CPU, I'm not noticing any stuttering in video playback.

The work around with X using 100% of the CPU is to set Option
UseEvents "True" in xorg.conf.
But this didn't work for me. It seems to work for some but not others.

The most common explanation as to why if playing a 24fps on a 24Hz
display is that the framerate of a video never perfectly matches the
refresh rate of the screen as they use different clock.
The most common way during playback to catch up is to drop frames ; or
display one more than once. But with the frequency being so close to
each other this is not possible, so the Xv drivers spins waiting for
v-sync...

When using VDPAU, the nvidia drivers have full control of the
decoding, so it doesn't suffer this issue.

Not that X using 100% of the CPU time only seems to happen with
23.967Hz video or 24Hz video. It doesn't happen when running at 50Hz

> I'm using your repository to get the VDPAU backport. However, I was hoping to install the older nVidia driver I can see when browsing your repository. However, in my Synaptic Manager, I can't see the drivers listed. Do you know why? Any thoughts on how I can install these older drivers?

If you see my vdpau packages, then you must see the nvidia drivers,
they are called nvidia-glx-180

Jean-Yves