[mythtvnz] VDPAU package can be removed?

Aaron Drysdale Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com
Mon May 11 08:53:07 BST 2009

From: mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz on behalf of Jean-Yves Avenard
>As a note, my VDPAU packages support the feature of automatically
>changing the refresh rate of the screen to match the video.
>So if your TV supports 1280x720 @ 60Hz and 1280x720 @50Hz ; you can
>configure mythtv to automatically swtich between the two when
>appropriate.

I did notice this. However, I don't watch any other content in Mythtv apart from TV. I use XBMC for this, and it also supports changing refresh rate.

>> I also eventually fixed the tearing problem. Disabled composite according to
>> JYA's VDPAU FAQ. Interestingly it fixes the problem even when I don't have
>> VDPAU enabled.
>
>That surprises ..
>The only reason why composite needs to be disabled when using VDPAU,
>is because v-sync is disabled with composite on.
>
>This is something the 185.x drivers fix. You won't need to disable
>composite when 185 drivers are released.

I should have mentioned, I'm using the 185.18.04 driver. So you're saying disabling composite shouldn't be required with this driver? I definately had to do it, as I got some tearing otherwise. Strange.

>Unfortunately, and that's something to be aware of, you must use VDPAU
>if your TV refresh rate matches exactly the video framerate.
>There's a bug in the nvidia drivers, if using Xv, X will start using
>100% of the CPU time... And you will get a lot of stuttering.
>
>It's unfortunate that there's so many issues with the nvidia drivers,
>but at least they provide a work-around (VDPAU)

Hmmm.... I wasn't aware of this, but that would explain my other post earlier today about high CPU usage. Do you know of the reason for this? Do you have a link with an explanation, or any workaround? When I use VDPAU, I get "micro pauses" ever few minutes, which effectively stops me from using it. If I went back to an earlier driver version (180.51?) would this stop? When I switch back to the Xv renderer, every now and again the CPU on Mythfrontend climbs to 80%-100%. It happens on some process in the X11R6 folder. Fortunately, as I have a quad core CPU, I'm not noticing any stuttering in video playback.

I'm using your repository to get the VDPAU backport. However, I was hoping to install the older nVidia driver I can see when browsing your repository. However, in my Synaptic Manager, I can't see the drivers listed. Do you know why? Any thoughts on how I can install these older drivers?

Many thanks
Aaron