[mythtvnz] VDPAU package can be removed?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 11 02:25:17 BST 2009

Hi

thanks for this great post... Greatly summarise most common issues.

2009/5/11 Aaron Drysdale <Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com>:

> I’m waiting for nVidia to provide a solution to the colours problem. Also,
> XBMC which I also use supports switching refresh rates, so when playing back
> NTSC source videos it automatically switches to 60Hz and I get smooth video
> there too.

As a note, my VDPAU packages support the feature of automatically
changing the refresh rate of the screen to match the video.
So if your TV supports 1280x720 @ 60Hz and 1280x720 @50Hz ; you can
configure mythtv to automatically swtich between the two when
appropriate.

http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2009/2/16_Match_refresh_rate_with_input_framerate_to_reduce_judder_and_nVidia_xrandr_support.html

If you are using Dynamic Twinview (which creates refresh rate of
50,51,52 etc..) then follow the instructions on that blog entry.

If not, and your screen reports in xrandr 50 and 60Hz directly, then
it's just a matter of doing:
In MythTV setup -> Appearance, check Separate Video modes for GUI and
TV playback.

For the main resolution, put 1280x720 and  for the rate you use "Any"
this is when MythTV will try to match the TV refresh rate with the
video one.

> I also eventually fixed the tearing problem. Disabled composite according to
> JYA’s VDPAU FAQ. Interestingly it fixes the problem even when I don’t have
> VDPAU enabled.

That surprises ..
The only reason why composite needs to be disabled when using VDPAU,
is because v-sync is disabled with composite on.

This is something the 185.x drivers fix. You won't need to disable
composite when 185 drivers are released.

> Of course, now I know that ultimately the best solution would be a new TV,
> but you can imagine how that went down with the wife! Ideally, I need a TV
> that supports 1920x1080 full HD with 1:1 pixel mapping; at 24Hz, 50Hz and
> 60Hz refresh rates; the ability to switch on/off overscan; and switch
> between PC Levels and Broadcast Levels.

My sony full HD TV (46X3100) supports all of those, plus the US ones:
23.976, 59.94Hz..

So I get no judder whatsoever with mythtv anymore. It's great

Unfortunately, and that's something to be aware of, you must use VDPAU
if your TV refresh rate matches exactly the video framerate.
There's a bug in the nvidia drivers, if using Xv, X will start using
100% of the CPU time... And you will get a lot of stuttering.

It's unfortunate that there's so many issues with the nvidia drivers,
but at least they provide a work-around (VDPAU)

Jean-Yvesz