[mythtvnz] DVB-T HD picture quality with NOVA-T

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 03:59:55 BST 2009

________________________________
From: Jonathan Hoskin <jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com>
To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, 4 May, 2009 2:39:26 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] DVB-T HD picture quality with NOVA-T

I was hoping that others using the NOVA-T 500 could advise their experience, I am wondering if I am chasing something that is not possible. On the other hand if someone is getting pixelation free HD pictures using the NOVA-T 500 I would love to hear about your hardware and settings.

I just have the one FE/BE machine:

Mythbuntu 8.10 + JYA release repo
1x Nova-T 500
Sempron LE-1200 (2.1Ghz)
2GB RAM
Asus 8500GT Silent G84 512MB

I have a single VDPAU playback profile and get the best results with Temporal 2x.

I used to have the problems with A) fast movement pixellation on TV1 & TV2, and B) occasional crashes on TV3, however I upgraded to a 43EL UHF antenna and RG6 and they all but vanished.

One of the most recent releases from JYA (a-la audio buffering) has also fixed what I would call chunky playback on C4. I've just spent the weekend catching up a months worth of previously unwatchable Battlestar Galactica.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

thanks for the info.

Can you please advise what signal strength you have and also what video card you are using.

I am using a 93 element UHF aerial but I would consider getting an extension to get it mounted higher as I don't have line of sight to Mt Kaukau. Still will not have line of site but higher should be better. On the other hand the settop box had no problem with the existing reception but it could jut be that the NOVA-T 500 needs a better signal.

I do have the LNA activated (should have pointed that out).

Cheers

Steve

      Get fit, feel better! All the help you need at Yahoo!Xtra Health - http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health