[mythtvnz] Front-end hardware

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 4 01:03:04 BST 2009

Hi

2009/5/4 Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz>:
> I would spring for a MCE remote and receiver for each machine I use.
>
> I tried using the 6 button remote, and found it too frustrating for my
> use.  The real kicker was that I like (need?) skip forward/back for comm
> flagging, as well as right/left for jump 30sec/7sec respectively.
> Mapping some of them to the long key presses was annoying to use.
>
> Anyways, my 2c.

If you use a universal remote control like a Logitech Harmony ; then
you aren't limited to 6 keys...

The Apple remote can produce 255 x 6 = 1530 different discrete codes !

And the Apple TV/macbook/mini can recognise all of those.

What you do is record the IR code for each key. I called it Play1,
Up1, Down1, Menu1 etc..
Then you press Menu and Next for 5 seconds.
Now the menu will produce a different set of IR codes.

When you create the lirc code, make sure you didn't use the set of code before.

My logitech is controlling my mini with all buttons assigned a unique
combination.
No need for an external receiver.

It's a bit of a pain to configure, but it works great