[mythtvnz] Front-end hardware

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Mon May 4 00:42:55 BST 2009

On 3/5/09 10:09 PM, Russ McMullan wrote:
> Hey wade,
>
>> From reading around the place and taking others recommendations, I wont be
> using OS X, just dedicated Linux (with mythtv 0.21) Haven't decided on which
> flavour, but I use ubuntu everywhere else (the knoppix looks ok, and gentoo
> seems very popular on appletv. Will buy a appletv and go from there. Open to
> suggestions.....
>
> Am happy with 6 buttons for these other secondary front-ends at this stage.
> (Just need up, down, enter, esc, L, R ? ) My main living room I use the MCE
> remote, and have programmed the vol and power so that is the only remote we
> use.    Happy to spring for another remote later if the 6 buttons is really
> annyoying. Not having a power button on the appletv remote for the
> tv/monitor will be the kicker.
>
> Cheers!

I would spring for a MCE remote and receiver for each machine I use.

I tried using the 6 button remote, and found it too frustrating for my
use.  The real kicker was that I like (need?) skip forward/back for comm
flagging, as well as right/left for jump 30sec/7sec respectively.
Mapping some of them to the long key presses was annoying to use.

Anyways, my 2c.

  - Wade