[mythtvnz] Upgrade for Freeview HD

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 23:23:47 BST 2009

>I'm using VDPAU, so any new machine will be able to handle the load,
>as the display is handled by the GPU. Since you will be using the CPU
>for video processing, you millage will vary. For the record my
>hardware is:

>AMD Athlon 64 5200+AM2 Processor Retail Dual Core AM2
>Antec NSK2480B Solution Series MicroATX Desktop Case Black
>Asus M3N78-VM AM2+ GF8200 5200MT DDR2 PCIEx16 RAID GbLAN mATX
>Kingston DDR2 4(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz - KVR800D2N6K2/4G

>  -- simon

A little off topic Simon, but I was wondering how good your HD system plays. I have a very similar system NOVA -T 500 with ASUS Mobo with built in VDPAU capable. My system gives bad pixelation whenever the picture pans or if there is high speed motion covering a large proportion of the screen. It is worst on TV1 and TV2 much less of a problem on TV3 and almost non existent on the Freeview demo channel 100.

I suspected the reception but I borrowed a settop box off friend for the weekend and I couldn't fault the reception, I didn't get the pixelation at all on the settop box.

My signal strength is around 53% on all channels with no masthead amplifier, if I add a masthead amplifier I get signal strength of 72% but it makes no difference to this problem. I get no bit errors.

It would be interesting to hear how your setup is doing.

Cheers
Steve

      Get fit, feel better! All the help you need at Yahoo!Xtra Health - http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health