[mythtvnz] HDHomerun - VLC on Linux - Yes - well sort of!

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:06:37 BST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> <Which version of myth are you using?>
> Nick
> I have mythbuntu 8.10 running here.

8.04 with fixes on the backend, 8.10 with jean-yves patches on the
frontend. It is a P4 2.8G with an nVidia 8400GS PCIe card with 512M
ram. (gee the video card has the same amount of ram as the cpu!)

Feeding via DVI-HDMI cable to a Sony 1080p LCD panel. It runs at 1080p
(according to the TV's onscreen info)

Previously was an onboard intel 82865G via VGA to the same screen.
Best I got there was 1280x768.

Anyway... the vdpau machine looks beautiful. The quality of my SD
recordings is superb. The quality of the odd bit of 720p and 1080i
material I have downloaded for testing purposes is also superb, but I
have to say there are issues of glitching using Internal [1]. OTOH
mplayer (also from J-Y's repo) plays them faultlessly.

Core temp on the vdpau card is 53C at idle [2] and sometimes gets up
to 59 on HD stuff.

[1] possibly Internal is still bad with mkv files?
[2] DISPLAY=:0 watch nvidia-settings -q GPUCoreTemp is helpful from
the laptop over ssh

> I guess you are asking what happens when the HDHomeRun is run up there, I've not ventured further into that as it is all SD kit, I
> think my first priority is to get a VDPAU box running, before I run the HDHR under myth, Steve is likely to achieve that before me.
> I am also expecting that there will be issues running the NZ HDHR under mythtv, however maybe will be pleasantly surprised?  9.04 is
> also getting closer.
> Where is your VDPAU setup at?

answered above I guess :)

Highly recommend vdpau!