[mythtvnz] MythTV and PopcornHour A-110

Jim Cheetham jim at inode.co.nz
Mon Mar 16 02:48:56 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> where are your recordings coming from. I say that because the codecs
> and containers can vary depending what your source is.

Off Freeview, via a Technotrend S-1401 DVB-S card.

However, in all these cases, I was hoping that I was delivering the
same file! And it plays properly on the A-110 via NFS ...

> There are also other uPnP servers for linux that may work better, eg
> FUPPES (google it). I know knoppmyth were including fuppes as an
> optional extra even after myth got uPnP support.

That's worth knowing about, thanks.

> Samba - sounds like permissions issue? ie you can list the directory
> but not access the files?

Sadly, I can access all the files just fine from another device on the
network :-(

> NFS - is there an option to follow symlinks?

Well, with a little further investigation, I can see that the symlinks
are to absolute names, which probably won't work over NFS if the
client machine doesn't have the directory mounted in the same absolute
location as the source (i.e. it's /data on the myth server, /data on
the machine I tested it from ... but unlikely to be /data on the A110
... and z: on the windows PC, which I've just noticed fails badly too)

> I don't know many people in NZ with PCH's, you may be better with the
> mythtv-user list or the popcornhour forum (which is somewhere on a
> domain like networkmediatank.something)

Mmm, you may be right ... :-)

-jim