[mythtvnz] MythTV and PopcornHour A-110

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 02:14:32 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Jim Cheetham <jim at inode.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi, I have a new MythTV 0.21 install (mythbuntu), which seems to be
> working fine (perhaps because I haven't tried to do anything too
> difficult with it yet?) I have a preliminary high WAF rating, due to a
> couple of specific programs I've already managed to catch :-)
>
> My eee701 makes a pretty much perfect frontend, even over my wireless
> network it performs really well. This increases WAF, because it's her
> computer, and for once things work better on her machine than they do
> on mine!
>
> However, I also have a Popcorn Hour A-110 device, which is hooked up
> to the main TV. That has three ways of talking to the Myth backend,
> Samba, NFS and what looks like uPnP. Unfortunately, each method has
> different successes and failures, and none of them are completely
> successful.
>
> So I'm asking around to see if anyone else has a Popcorn Hour, and is
> able to get it working well with Myth ...
>
> Over Samba, I can see all my data, but when I try to browse for movies
> in the correct directory, "no content found"
>
> Over NFS, I can browse the recordings directory and play the mpgs in
> there. However, I can't play the mythrename.pl'd links in the
> directory next to it. Perhaps because they are symlinks?
>
> Over uPnP, I can see and browse all the titles, well organised. I just
> can't play any of them : "no content found"
>
> Any hints or success stories welcome :-)

where are your recordings coming from. I say that because the codecs
and containers can vary depending what your source is.

For example a randomly googled thread indicates some people have had
problems with PVR-150 recordings.

Also I know at one stage the PCH did not have support for he-aac audio
that is on the DVB-T transmissions in NZ.

There are also other uPnP servers for linux that may work better, eg
FUPPES (google it). I know knoppmyth were including fuppes as an
optional extra even after myth got uPnP support.

Samba - sounds like permissions issue? ie you can list the directory
but not access the files?

NFS - is there an option to follow symlinks? I find NFS and symlinks
confusing, but this resource may help:

http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking_2ndEd/nfs/ch06_04.htm

I don't know many people in NZ with PCH's, you may be better with the
mythtv-user list or the popcornhour forum (which is somewhere on a
domain like networkmediatank.something)