[mythtvnz] VDPAU Video Card

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 11:15:39 BST 2009

>Hi
>
>2009/6/15 Brett Miller <blmiller at slingshot.co.nz>:
>> I'm trying to use en9400gt 512KB.
>> This card has approx. 50% over capacity for 1080i60 & 720p60.
>> Tested using qvdpautest tool.
>> h264 1920x1080 44 frames/sec
>> h264 720p 96 frames/sec
>> This card can not therefore do 2x hardware deinterlace.
>> This card can not do 1080p50 or 1080p60.
>
>I would take the results returned by qvdpautest with a bit of caution.
>For a start, the framerate will greatly vary with the kind of content
>you are playing. Not all h264 are equal.
>
>As an example, my 9400 IGP can decode just fine the 1080p60 trailers
>found on the Apple web site.
>
>The other important point to keep in mind, there are currently no
>content broadcast in either 1080p50 or 1080p60.
>
>The most you'll see is 1080i60.. All bluray is 1080p24 ; which the
>9400 will be able to handle perfectly.
>
>If you have read the nvidia thread about qvdpautest ; almost none of
>the VDPAU cards can do in the test more than 45-50 frame/sec for
>either VC1 or H264...
>
>So at the end of the day, the only relevant part is how well they
>perform for deinterlacing ; so we go back to the 9500GT and above

Hi Jean-Yves,

I understand all of what you have stated above.
I was just trying to present a transferable metric (same tool & test data).
I have not made a study of qvdpautest, I have just used it to test my
install is working & it hasn't been doing much of that lately.

I did state that 9400GT was not up to 2x hardware de-interlacing.

I am still using an analogue CRT, 1080i60 is the limit so I do not need it
2x de-interlace.

Currently only using $2000 HTPC as web browser (with VGA PC monitor) & mp3
player.
Recorded h.264 (FreeviewHD) material plays almost perfect 1080i & 720p.

Thanks & regards,
Brett.