[mythtvnz] VDPAU Video Card

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:18:52 BST 2009

Hi

2009/6/15 Daniel Holt <dmholt at gmail.com>:
> Is there a general consensus yet as to what specification NVIDIA graphics
> card would be ideal for building a new MythTV box to support Freeview HD
> using VDPAU and Jean Y Avenard's patches?

a 9500GT card will do everything you need.

The 9500GT is slightly faster for VDPAU than the 8600GT.

My 8600GT with 256MB of RAM works perfectly for everything including
all the deinterlacers. So I would assume 256MB is enough.

> 3) A 9400GT would probably be usable, but will not suport some of the more
> advanced features such as 2X deinterlacing with 1080i.

That's right.
the 9400 is the most powerful IGP you can get ; like what's available
on the Ion platform

> 4) An 8400GS with the newer core would provide VDPAU support, but be limited
> in terms of the advanced features it supports (e.g. deinterlacing) and is
> probably not a good choice.

All 8400 cards provide VDPAU support. Using a 8400gs with a newer GPU
core was more relevant when only that card could do VC-1 decoding. But
now all cards can do VC1 decoding using recent drivers, so it's not
that much relevant now