[mythtvnz] VDPAU Video Card

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:27:30 BST 2009

Hi

2009/6/15 Brett Miller <blmiller at slingshot.co.nz>:
> I'm trying to use en9400gt 512KB.
> This card has approx. 50% over capacity for 1080i60 & 720p60.
> Tested using qvdpautest tool.
> h264   1920x1080       44 frames/sec
> h264    720p                 96 frames/sec
> This card can not therefore do 2x hardware deinterlace.
> This card can not do 1080p50 or 1080p60.

I would take the results returned by qvdpautest with a bit of caution.
For a start, the framerate will greatly vary with the kind of content
you are playing. Not all h264 are equal.

As an example, my 9400 IGP can decode just fine the 1080p60 trailers
found on the Apple web site.

The other important point to keep in mind, there are currently no
content broadcast in either 1080p50 or 1080p60.

The most you'll see is 1080i60.. All bluray is 1080p24 ; which the
9400 will be able to handle perfectly.

If you have read the nvidia thread about qvdpautest ; almost none of
the VDPAU cards can do in the test more than 45-50 frame/sec for
either VC1 or H264...

So at the end of the day, the only relevant part is how well they
perform for deinterlacing ; so we go back to the 9500GT and above