[mythtvnz] VDPAU Video Card

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 06:15:51 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Holt
To: mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 3:38 PM
Subject: [mythtvnz] VDPAU Video Card

Is there a general consensus yet as to what specification NVIDIA graphics
card would be ideal for building a new MythTV box to support Freeview HD
using VDPAU and Jean Y Avenard's patches?

I've searched through this list to see what people have been saying, and it
seems to me that a 9500GT card with 512MB RAM might be the most best choice
currently.  I've come to that conclusion based on the assumptions below: if
anyone would care to comment on these assumptions, or any relevant
considerations I may have missed, comments would be appreciated.

1) 512 MB of video memory is (probably) needed to fully support 1080i.

2) A 9500GT would seem to provide all or most of the features currently
available through VDPAU, and getting a higher specification card would
probably not give any advantages for a Mythtv/VDPAU system.  (Of course
future versions of VDPAU could make new features available only on
newer/higher specification cards, but there's only so much "future-proofing"
that's practical.)

3) A 9400GT would probably be usable, but will not suport some of the more
advanced features such as 2X deinterlacing with 1080i.

4) An 8400GS with the newer core would provide VDPAU support, but be limited
in terms of the advanced features it supports (e.g. deinterlacing) and is
probably not a good choice.

Have I missed anything important with regards to what I should be
considering when choosing a card?

Cheers.

Daniel
I agree with your comments. I should have bought the 9500GT (only $20 more).
I do not understand all the seemly pointless nvidia processor variants.
I guess nvidia is only making <$1 per processor so this makes economic sense
to the volumes made.

I'm trying to use en9400gt 512KB.
This card has approx. 50% over capacity for 1080i60 & 720p60.
Tested using qvdpautest tool.
h264   1920x1080       44 frames/sec
h264    720p                 96 frames/sec
This card can not therefore do 2x hardware deinterlace.
This card can not do 1080p50 or 1080p60.

I am driving my display at 1080i60 for all source material.
Deinterlace is not necessary for me (I think) as display is i60 and 720p
material is not interlaced

Regards,
Brett