[mythtvnz] VDPAU Video Card

Daniel Holt dmholt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 04:38:06 BST 2009

Is there a general consensus yet as to what specification NVIDIA graphics
card would be ideal for building a new MythTV box to support Freeview HD
using VDPAU and Jean Y Avenard's patches?

I've searched through this list to see what people have been saying, and it
seems to me that a 9500GT card with 512MB RAM might be the most best choice
currently.  I've come to that conclusion based on the assumptions below: if
anyone would care to comment on these assumptions, or any relevant
considerations I may have missed, comments would be appreciated.

1) 512 MB of video memory is (probably) needed to fully support 1080i.

2) A 9500GT would seem to provide all or most of the features currently
available through VDPAU, and getting a higher specification card would
probably not give any advantages for a Mythtv/VDPAU system.  (Of course
future versions of VDPAU could make new features available only on
newer/higher specification cards, but there's only so much "future-proofing"
that's practical.)

3) A 9400GT would probably be usable, but will not suport some of the more
advanced features such as 2X deinterlacing with 1080i.

4) An 8400GS with the newer core would provide VDPAU support, but be limited
in terms of the advanced features it supports (e.g. deinterlacing) and is
probably not a good choice.

Have I missed anything important with regards to what I should be
considering when choosing a card?

Cheers.