[mythtvnz] Going cold turkey (was: MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester)

Matt Poff matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz
Mon Jul 6 04:29:20 BST 2009

Quite a timely discussion as I've just experienced Myth withdrawal
after our roofers reset my dish wrong and I had to wait until the
weekend to find time to fix it (was nice weather for it too). I
haven't watched live TV since putting the system in about two years
ago and have to agree I'm watching much less on the box. I usually
line up the schedule for the next week on a Sunday night and it's
sobering to find only  one or two items I actually want to watch
(leaving aside the 'always on' schedules of news and current affairs).
News and current affairs can be chewed through at x2.25 speed with no
loss of signal/noise in the reportage (probably an improvement in
fact). Some of what I do record and watch is on at antisocial hours in
programming cul-de-sacs I'd probably overlook  without a system like
this so it's an odd-paradox: a now essential piece of TV watching kit
that helps me watch less TV!