[mythtvnz] Going cold turkey (was: MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester)

Aaron Drysdale Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com
Mon Jul 6 04:07:05 BST 2009

>I think that having TV dictate your schedule is a habit for a lot of
people and habits are hard to give up. I had a few disagreements with
>my wife over watching TV live but in the end she came round and I'm
sure she'd agree now that it's better not to be tied to the box. It's
>certainly better never having to waste time on advertising.

I agree with the comment on advertising, however I'm curious to know
whether my experiences are the same as everyone else. I find that now
that I have adopted the "new paradigm" I actually watch less TV. Before,
I would watch a program because "that's when it's on", however now I
might go and do something else. Make the kids lunch, do the dishes, read
a book - whatever; just because I know I can watch the program later.
Half the time, I end up deleting the program because I'm just never in
the mood to watch it. Less TV has got to be a good thing.

However, I also find that sometimes you're just in the mood for watching
some mindless TV, ads and all. I still get the urge to watch Live TV -
either when I'm not in the mood to watch anything else, or when I only
have 30 minutes to spare and I don't want to start anything.