[mythtvnz] Fwd: mythtv with vdpau and LATM/AAC support

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:47:43 GMT 2009

Hi

I joined quickly to answer some of the questions here...

> From: Jonathan Hoskin <jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com>
>
> I've given it a good run overnight. All channels work beautifully
> (with sound) on my standalone box which is a single core Sempron
> LE-1200 2.1Ghz & 8500GT. Even Mythcommflag can run in the background
> at the same time with no worries as well.

great to know...
VDPAU is very impressive indeed.

All the thanks should go to Mark Kendall, he's the author of most of
the code, I only backported it...

> Issues:
>
> 1) There were a couple of frontend crashes which I will try to
> reproduce and get log info about.

Yes, without crashlog and backtrace it's not helpful..

Are you running your box on a 64 bits machine by any chances?

nVidia has confirmed a but only happening on 64 bits machine, mpeg2
and h264 would crash on 64 bits.

You'll have to wait for the next drivers to come... shouldn't be long
based on the past release...

> 2) The OSD is skewed/broken. I have tried a couple of different OSD
> flavours with the same result. Photos here:
> http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/329831/1/mythosdbugs?h=dd37c2

Now that is something I have never seen before...
Are you using Qt or Opengl? what video card is it ?

Personally I use the MePo theme (which is included in my ubuntu
package) and it shows properly uner all the machine I'm running here
with VDPAU (3, 2x32 bits, 1x64)

> 3) Yes there is heaps of spam in the frontend logs, but nothing
> logrotate can't handle
that's an ffmpeg issue unfortunately...

the version of ffmep in trunk is much more advanced

The other ubuntu package with LATM/AAC support by Paul Kendall is also
using a more recent version of ffmpeg, so I'm guessing a lot of
bugs/issues have been ironed out.

I wanted to stay as close as possible to the original 0.21-fixes..
Changing for a newer version of ffmpeg wasn't on my agenda.

Jean-Yves