[mythtvnz] Fwd: mythtv with vdpau and LATM/AAC support

graeme graeme.joy at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jan 31 07:46:29 GMT 2009

Jonathan Hoskin wrote:
> I've given it a good run overnight. All channels work beautifully
> (with sound) on my standalone box which is a single core Sempron
> LE-1200 2.1Ghz & 8500GT. Even Mythcommflag can run in the background
> at the same time with no worries as well.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1) There were a couple of frontend crashes which I will try to
> reproduce and get log info about.
> 2) The OSD is skewed/broken. I have tried a couple of different OSD
> flavours with the same result. Photos here:
> http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/329831/1/mythosdbugs?h=dd37c2
> 3) Yes there is heaps of spam in the frontend logs, but nothing
> logrotate can't handle
>
> Am I better off firing these straight to Jean-Yves?
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com
> <mailto:nick.rout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I would like people to take Jean-Yves up on his offer of a testing
>     version of 0.21-fixes with his unofficial backport of vdpau and
>     he-aac/latm patches. See below.
>
>     A fellow list member provided a TV2 clip  which Jean-Yves says plays
>     with 3% CPU and sound working. However he comments "lots of output
>     from ffmpeg however. would fill the log very quickly".
>
>     Can we have more testers please? I don't have access to HD at present
>     (new aerial donation anyone?) nor a vdpau card. However I'll probably
>     invest soon, once you bunnies have tested it out :)
>
>     Nick.

I took the plunge with the testing version of Jeans and am fairly happy
with it, haven't had any crashes.
I have a 8400GS card and run the 180.27 driver.
Playback does have some tearing and disturbances (especially during
large panning) but otherwise is quite watchable.
The only deinterlacer that works for me is Bob2x hw, the others cause
high CPU usage and stuttering.
Is this likely to be card specific, would I be better off with a more up
spec card?

BTW does any one have a sound settings recipe for getting AC3 sound with
TV3 and stereo sound with other channels with the same settings?
I've tried 5.1->AC3 Pass thru but get static on TV3 and no sound on
other channels.  Stereo is the only setting that works for me.

Cheers
Graeme