[mythtvnz] Seg fault problem crashing frontend

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 07:02:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen <
ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I watch live TV it
> almost always crashes (just vanishes).  However when watching the same
> program on playback usually no problems (ie when recorded).  It also
> will crash after a few seconds when playing some recordings,
> specifically Knight Rider.

Could be overheating. When Myth has problems with LiveTV but not recorded TV
it indicates that the extra load of recording as well as watching might be a
problem. Has it got worse in the last few months (i.e. since summer
started)?

>  Below is the error in the syslog:
>
> Feb 24 19:28:43 mythserver kernel: [16872.961938]
> mythfrontend.re[19354]: segfault at 7f116001ffff ip 00007f1175673663
> sp 0000000045e13a90 error 4 in
> libmythavcodec-0.21.so.0.21.0[7f11753a7000+3cc000]

Looks like 64bit pointers - it might be more stable running 32bits. Though I
think there are plenty of people using 64bits without issues these days.

> I don't have a graphics card at the moment (as I'm waiting for the
> VDPAU to stabilise so its all decoded by the CPU anyway).
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on diagnosing what the problem is (ie is CPU
> maxing out?)?

CPU maxing out won't cause crashes, just skips and unwatchable video.

Cheers,