[mythtvnz] Seg fault problem crashing frontend

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 19:45:27 GMT 2009

On 24/02/2009, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen <
> ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I watch live TV it
>> almost always crashes (just vanishes).  However when watching the same
>> program on playback usually no problems (ie when recorded).  It also
>> will crash after a few seconds when playing some recordings,
>> specifically Knight Rider.
>

> Could be overheating. When Myth has problems with LiveTV but not recorded TV
> it indicates that the extra load of recording as well as watching might be a
> problem. Has it got worse in the last few months (i.e. since summer
> started)?

I haven't noticed the difference coming into summer, I'll see what
temp the CPU is running at.  On Ubuntu what's the best utility for
tracking this info?  Funny thing is that it can be recording another
(sometimes two) channels and playback with no problems.  I've got a
raid 0 system and I've noticed that it is a lot faster in IO.

>>  Below is the error in the syslog:
>>
>> Feb 24 19:28:43 mythserver kernel: [16872.961938]
>> mythfrontend.re[19354]: segfault at 7f116001ffff ip 00007f1175673663
>> sp 0000000045e13a90 error 4 in
>> libmythavcodec-0.21.so.0.21.0[7f11753a7000+3cc000]
>>

> Looks like 64bit pointers - it might be more stable running 32bits. Though I
> think there are plenty of people using 64bits without issues these days.

When you say it might be more stable on 32bits are you suggesting I
have to revert to a 32bit OS?  Not keen on that idea, I've spent ages
getting things the way I like them!  Will the next version of MythTv
be more stable, do I just have to be patient?

Ross