[mythtvnz] Seg fault problem crashing frontend

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 06:42:30 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I'm on to solve my next problem on my Mythbox!  I've seen some posts
with similar symptoms and it seems after some googling that there are
a wide range of causes for this problem but I have consistent crashing
on my frontend under a few circumstances.  When I watch live TV it
almost always crashes (just vanishes).  However when watching the same
program on playback usually no problems (ie when recorded).  It also
will crash after a few seconds when playing some recordings,
specifically Knight Rider.  Below is the error in the syslog:

Feb 24 19:28:43 mythserver kernel: [16872.961938]
mythfrontend.re[19354]: segfault at 7f116001ffff ip 00007f1175673663
sp 0000000045e13a90 error 4 in
libmythavcodec-0.21.so.0.21.0[7f11753a7000+3cc000]

I don't have a graphics card at the moment (as I'm waiting for the
VDPAU to stabilise so its all decoded by the CPU anyway).

Has anyone got any ideas on diagnosing what the problem is (ie is CPU
maxing out?)?

system details:
Core2duo E8200 2.66GHz
2GB ram