[mythtvnz] Chch setup help please?

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 00:12:11 GMT 2009

Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen
> <ross.jemima at gmail.com <mailto:ross.jemima at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The only methods I have come up with so far for a virtual backend
>     are to
>     use a network tuner (ie HDHomerun) or use mumudvb on the host machine
>     and multicast/unicast content back to the virtual host and use a
>     network
>     tuner in Myth.
>

> A search of the main mailing list reveals that people have got PCI
> tuners to work in VMs using Xen. E.g.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/303253?search_string=xen;#303253.
>

>     I don't think there is any way to do a virtual frontend as the virtual
>     drivers can't access the advanced graphics functions of the host.
>

> If your host is sufficiently powerful CPU-wise you shouldn't need any
> advanced graphics functions. Again, the main mailing list has reports
> of success:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/38783?search_string=vm%20frontend;#38783.

Thanks for the posts Steve, makes for some interesting reading.  When I
had VMWare server installed and a Nova T 500 the tuners did show up as
USB devices which could connect to the VM client but I never tried any
further with that.  It would probably work with a straight USB tuner as
well I suppose (which I do have at the moment).