[mythtvnz] Chch setup help please?

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:35:11 GMT 2009

Jim Cheetham wrote:
> If I were building a new server, I'd look for something that allowed
> me to virtualise the myth backend; it would have to allow the VM guest
> to access to the DVB-S cards, and I'm not really sure what can do
> that; certainly not VMWare. Possibly Xen on the metal, but I'd
> probably need VT support in the CPU which this machine doesn't have.
> KVM I don't know anything about, sadly. But this machine is stable-ish
> and the WAF is high, so I don't feel the need to mess with it any
> more!

Hi Jim,

The only methods I have come up with so far for a virtual backend are to
use a network tuner (ie HDHomerun) or use mumudvb on the host machine
and multicast/unicast content back to the virtual host and use a network
tuner in Myth.  I'd probably even try putting mysql on another VM or the
host itself.  That way you could play around with different backend
configurations etc and if all fails delete the VM and use a working
backup.  The headaches I've had when I've stuffed things up has made me
want to go for one of these options.

I don't think there is any way to do a virtual frontend as the virtual
drivers can't access the advanced graphics functions of the host.

Regards
Ross