[mythtvnz] Chch setup help please?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 02:19:40 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've gone the more traditional way: fileserver with a 3TB RAID 5 for
>
> RAID5? You are brave. Multidisk RAID-1 is far safer in the face of
> multiple disk failure, and simpler while you're trying to recover.
> Those are the only criteria I use :-)

It's all recoverable from other sources (DVDs or other copies on the
network). It'd be a lot of work but not the end of the world. I'm not a big
fan of RAID5 either but it's a reasonable tradeoff between performance,
capacity, and data security in my case, primarily because of a lack of SATA
ports and room in the box for more drives. If I had more space/ports I'd use
mdraid 10 which is just as safe as RAID1 and generally gives better
performance for my use patterns (accessing a single file sequentially). I
expect I'll want more space within the next 6 months so I'll reevaluate
then.

Cheers,