[mythtvnz] OT: Linux guidance

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Fri Apr 24 04:23:25 BST 2009

Sorry for the OT, but this is the only group of linux people I know.

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips (off-list) on diagnosing (or
how to even start diagnosing) an issue I'm having with a machine.

It's a fresh install of CentOS 5.3 and basically after some arbitrary
period of time (12+ hours) I can no longer ssh into machine, login from
console at machine, or if I'm currently logged in, run any kind of
command (top for example). But at the same time I can still ping it, or
even access simple web pages via apache from another machine. From this
point, the only solution I've found so far, is the power button on the front

I'm at a loss as to where to look for clues as to what is going on. Any
tips greatly appreciated.

  - Wade