[mythtvnz] Sound problems - probably caused by me

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 01:18:51 BST 2009

Hi everyone,

I was tinkering last night with some settings in Mythbuntu Control
Centre.  Things I changed were enabling the MySQL tweaks, daily defrag
and database repair settings on the advanced tab.  I don't think any of
these settings would cause the problem I'm now having.

I also fiddled with the Proprietary codecs tab, enabling the Medibuntu
Proprietary support setting.  The sub settings on this page were already
selected as I had enabled them using Synaptic.  This adds a repository
but on my system (I'm not sure if this is a common issue) it adds a
hardy heron repo not the intrepid one (I already had the intrepid one
added as I had the libdvd, win64codecs and ffmpeg installed).  So I
deleted the hardy repository again.

The problem I'm now having is that some recordings and some channels on
live tv have screwed up sound.  I'm guessing I've screwed up some codecs
somewhere as I know there are different codecs used on different
channels etc.  I'm also thinking its a codec issue because even some old
recordings have screwed up sound and the file dates haven't changed so I
don't think that the files have been corrupted.

It sounds like a helicopter just perhaps at a slightly higher pitch.

I've tried reinstalling all the codecs I can find in synaptic but
nothing seems to fix it.  Any suggestions (and anyone know why MCC wants
to add a hardy repo)?

Thanks heaps
Rossco