[mythtvnz] OT: Linux guidance

Jean-Francois Pirus jfp at clearfield.com
Fri Apr 24 04:36:06 BST 2009

 > It's a fresh install of CentOS 5.3 and basically after some arbitrary
 > period of time (12+ hours) I can no longer ssh into machine, login from
 > console at machine, or if I'm currently logged in, run any kind of
 > command (top for example). But at the same time I can still ping it, or
 > even access simple web pages via apache from another machine. From this
 > point, the only solution I've found so far, is the power button on the front

This has the hallmark of nss issues (or hard disk failure)
ie: username/group lookup failing, you don't happen to be using ldap by any
chance?

Anyway, check your  /etc/nsswitch.conf

It should have the following (Also Centos 5.3)

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

Jean-Francois Pirus     <jfp at clearfield.com>           Technical Manager
Phone (+64-9)  358 2081                          Clearfield Software Ltd
Fax   (+64-9)  358 2083                    1st Floor 8-10 Whitaker Place
Mob   (+64-21) 640 779                P O Box 3901 Auckland, New Zealand