[mythtvnz] freeview HD on an AMD X2 6000+

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Oct 19 06:33:42 BST 2008

On 19/10/2008, at 11:50 AM, Andrew Richards wrote:

> I am now running this same set-up on my 5200X2, haven't done a through
> test but in simple terms I can play TV3.
>
> Well, at least I can while nothing else is happening. Unfortunately
> playback and commskip cannot co-exists without stuttering.  What I am
> trying to figure out is:
>
> - How to select audio streams? I want to use AAC on TV3 all the time,
> yet cannot see where to change this
> - How to turn off Loopfilter. In Playback Profiles I leave it on CPU+
> and edit the second entry (if rez <=1280 720 & > 720 576 ->XvMC) to
> use
> 2 CPU's and uncheck the Loopfilter box. I also changed the Primary
> Deinterlacer to One Feild. I assumed all this would lower CPU usage
> but
> it doesn't.
>
> Also I am confused about the Loopfilter box, my reading of the
> instruction is that with it checked, Loopfilter is enabled. This is
> the
> default setting, yet by default my machine can play 1080i video
> which I
> wouldn't expect without skiploopfilter. So it seems to be this setting
> isn't being properly respected. Any thoughts?

The bitrate and CPU load required for TV3 appears to vary quite a bit
depending on the content. For testing the best bet is to record a show
that is marked as broadcast in HD so you have a reliable reproducible
environment.

Based on the CPU loading i'm seeing on a 6000+ and similar data for a
5600+ I'm surprised you get the playback you are seeing. What MB and
GPU do you have?

> Steven Ellis wrote:
>>
>> On 14/10/2008, at 10:35 AM, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>

>>> My X2 6000+ was delivered just an hour or so ago and now have
>>> working
>>> TV3 - subject to a couple of minor niggles below.
>>>
>>> I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with Paul's most recent patched MythTV
>>> release and loopfilter disabled in my playback profile. The
>>> motherboard is an M2NPV-VM with 2G Ram and a Hauppauge HVR-900 USB
>>> tuner.
>>>
>>> Previously I had an X2 3600+ in my test rig which really didn't
>>> cut it.
>>>
>>> X2 3600+
>>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
>>> scaling_available_frequencies
>>> 2000000 1800000 1000000
>>>
>>> X2 6000+
>>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
>>> scaling_available_frequencies
>>> 3100000 3000000 2800000 2600000 2400000 2200000 2000000 1800000

email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz