[mythtvnz] Freeview EPG Best Practice?

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Sun May 25 13:10:55 BST 2008

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:59:36 Nick Rout wrote:
> I have just re-set up my system with mythbuntu 8.04 and want to set up
> my EPG for best use. Previously (0.20) I had a cron job downloading
> from http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg and running mythfilldatabase via cron
> job.
>
> Now I get the feeling there is a newer method of integrating external
> xml feeds? Is this so and if so how do i do it? (I have to say that
> all the docs seem to assume a north american userbase who pay $ to
> schedules direct).

If you install tv_grab_nz-py (http://nice.net.nz/tv_grab_nz-py) then you will
be able to configure everything through mythtv-setup they way it's supposed
to be done.

> Secondly the listings for sky and freeview are different, at least for
> TV3 & C4. In the sky listings there are subtitles (ie the episode
> name) whereas they don't seem to be in the freeview listings.
> Obviously the listings are far better if they contain the episode
> name.

epgsnoop does some processing and tries to find and extract the subtitle from
the description field.

> Is there a "best" set of listings for each of the channels?

I use the Sky data myself for everything it covers, I find it better. This
means using the listings-all file if you've got freeview as it contains both
the Freeview and the Sky data.

> Or should i be running EIT or epgsnoop?

epgsnoop will give you the same data as epg.pvr.geek.nz - that's what's used
to generate it. Depends whether you care about downloading the ~1MB of data
each day.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware