[mythtvnz] freeview HCDP question

Jason Haar jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau.org
Thu May 22 11:10:08 BST 2008

Hadley Rich wrote:

> If you're talking about receiving the Freeview broadcast with a DVB-T card
> then it doesn't really apply - HDCP is a STB to TV thing, as your Linux box
> won't care about this you don't really need to worry about it.

Sorry for not being clear - I was referring to Freeview set-top boxes.
That's why it's OT :-)

The *boxes* won't allow you to record HDTV but will downgrade it to SD.
I was wondering how they did the downgrade trick (I thought HDCP would
just stop you using anything other than a compliant end-device - I
didn't know it could alter the output)

There are HDCP-compliant recorders, but I'd guess the HDCP "protocol"
could actually be set so that the setup box only allows "video monitors"
- not recorders.

Jason