[mythtvnz] freeview HCDP question

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Thu May 22 08:20:46 BST 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:08:55 Jason Haar wrote:
> A bit OT but not really....
>
> Apparently Freeview boxes receiving HDTV will only output that HD signal
> to HCDP-compliant devices over HDMI (eg LCD TVs). DRM in action. Anyway,
> if you don't have a HCDP-compliant device, then it's downgraded to
> Standard Dev?
>
> I'm curious. What does that mean? Does that mean it's MPEG2 SD, or some
> weird MPEG4 low-res format? And does it happen automatically (which
> implies firmware), or would you have to manually configure the Freeview
> to output SD? I don't own a box - so I have no idea.

If you're talking about a STB then I don't know.

If you're talking about receiving the Freeview broadcast with a DVB-T card
then it doesn't really apply - HDCP is a STB to TV thing, as your Linux box
won't care about this you don't really need to worry about it.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware