[mythtvnz] freeview HCDP question

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu May 22 08:24:54 BST 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 7:08 pm, Jason Haar wrote:
> A bit OT but not really....
>
> Apparently Freeview boxes receiving HDTV will only output that HD signal
> to HCDP-compliant devices over HDMI (eg LCD TVs). DRM in action. Anyway,
> if you don't have a HCDP-compliant device, then it's downgraded to
> Standard Dev?
>
> I'm curious. What does that mean? Does that mean it's MPEG2 SD, or some
> weird MPEG4 low-res format? And does it happen automatically (which
> implies firmware), or would you have to manually configure the Freeview
> to output SD? I don't own a box - so I have no idea.

The signal between the STB and the TV isn't MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. It transmits
an uncompressed digital stream in 720p, 1080i or 576i.

In the case of the current freeview STB's if the TV doesn't have HDCP I
don't thing you will get any signal at all over HDMI. You might want to
post on geekzone for someone who was tried this to confirm. If you are
lucky you might get a 576i picture.

The STB does have a selectable video output when it does get a HDCP
connection which i've played with in some shops. You can manually tell the
box to output 1080i, 720p or 576i.

Any particular reason you are asking?

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR