[mythtvnz] New to Myth TV and would like your opinion

Arjan Harre harreclan at clear.net.nz
Mon May 19 00:35:18 BST 2008

*
One thing you don't mention is the video card. Intel or Nvidia would
probably
be best, ATI have been known to have issues. *

Ah yes Sorry, the Video card is a Radeon 9600 256 meg.

*The only thing that doesn't work currently (that I'm aware of) is the DVB
terrestrial broadcast. Satelitte is fine. *
*
If it were me I would go for a PVR-150 for broadcast and a DVB-S card for
freeview. The Microsoft MCE remotes work well and are reasonably priced.

*Cool thats exactly what I was thinking, standard broadcast reception is
fairly dodgy around here so I tuned the earial for Prime as much as
possible and use the DVB-s for the rest.
*
You've got plenty of memory, CPU is a little low but should be fine for SD,
the type video card will make a difference.*

I only have an old CRT tv and a fairly good projector, the projector
will do 720P. I have no issue with SD at this stage. Should I ever buy
an HD TV I will probably upgrade the myth box too.

*Could you use 2 tuners? Sure. *

Nice, just the answer I was hoping for.

*The weather bit doesn't work, from memory. We've never used it at any
rate.

*OK, I think I can live with that :-) , although .... I have the weather
thing working very nicely now with Firefox on a windows machine.
*
**To expand on this, you'd use the DVB-S card in the mythbox to get
freeview
using mythtv itself, and the SkyTV box video out would go into the PVR-150
analog capture card.

Satellite dish -> splitter
splitter->skybox for prime and whatnot
splitter->dvb-s card in mythbox and freeview*

At this stage I do not think I will be getting Sky, but thanks for the
info anyway.
*
**If you're meaning two skyboxes on a PVR-150 each, yeah. 0.21 of myth
supports virtual tuners, so you could use the one DVB-S card to record as
many freeview channels at once as you want.

*Very Cool!!! .... so which DVB-S card would be best suited? I see
pricespy ranges anywhere from $111 to $227. None of them mention a built
in MPEG 2 decoder?

Arjan