[mythtvnz] New to Myth TV and would like your opinion

AlanP alan.p at orcon.net.nz
Mon May 19 02:44:55 BST 2008

At 11:35 a.m. 19/05/2008, you wrote:
>You've got plenty of memory, CPU is a little low but should be fine for SD,
>the type video card will make a difference.*
>
>I only have an old CRT tv and a fairly good projector, the projector
>will do 720P. I have no issue with SD at this stage. Should I ever buy
>an HD TV I will probably upgrade the myth box too.

Don't recall who said the CPU is a hair low. I'm using a Sempron 2600 in
mine, which runs at 1600MHz. It's fast enough for three DVB-S cards going
at once (0.20 of myth). 512MB of ram in it.

>*Very Cool!!! .... so which DVB-S card would be best suited? I see
>pricespy ranges anywhere from $111 to $227. None of them mention a built
>in MPEG 2 decoder?

The good part of that is that dvb-s is already encoded as mpeg2, so no
processing is needed, the card just grabs the tv channel and dumps the feed
straight to the hard drive. The videocard normally has some kind of mpeg2
acceleration from memory.

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth