[mythtvnz] New to Myth TV and would like your opinion

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Sun May 18 11:12:38 BST 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008 21:49:48 Arjan Harre wrote:
> Hi Guys

Hi, welcome.

> I mainly intend to
> use it as a movie/ music player which I asume it will do fine (works
> great in windows so I see no reason  this would change), and would also
> like to replace the ugly little Freeview reciever. The Machine specs go
> something like this:
>
> Athlon XP 2400
> 2 Gigs of RAM
> 1 80 Gig IDE
> 1 500 GIG IDE

One thing you don't mention is the video card. Intel or Nvidia would probably
be best, ATI have been known to have issues.

> What parts of MYTH TV do not work here in NZ?

The only thing that doesn't work currently (that I'm aware of) is the DVB
terrestrial broadcast. Satelitte is fine.

> Seeing as the machine is not exactly the fastest available and I would
> prefer to be on Freeview and standard for Prime, what  Combination
> Satelite/UHF recievers have a built in mpeg 2 hardware encoder?

If it were me I would go for a PVR-150 for broadcast and a DVB-S card for
freeview. The Microsoft MCE remotes work well and are reasonably priced.

> Given the above specs what sort of performance can I reasonably expect?

You've got plenty of memory, CPU is a little low but should be fine for SD,
the type video card will make a difference.

> Could I co for 2 Recievers?

Could you use 2 tuners? Sure.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware. Linux laptops.