[mythtvnz] New to Myth TV and would like your opinion

Arjan Harre harreclan at clear.net.nz
Sun May 18 10:49:48 BST 2008

Hi Guys

It is time to de-clutter the lounge so I thought i would start by trying
to get rid of about 4 unit sout of the TV cabinet and replace it with a
single unit. A friend of mine suggested MythTV and I have been reading
for a few nights now. I have a few questions that I cannot find a
sulotion to. My intent is to resurect an old Gaming PC and fit it with a
Silent Fan and PSU (Possibly fit it in a new case but there is tonnes of
room behind the TV Cabinet so its not high priority). I mainly intend to
use it as a movie/ music player which I asume it will do fine (works
great in windows so I see no reason  this would change), and would also
like to replace the ugly little Freeview reciever. The Machine specs go
something like this:

Athlon XP 2400
2 Gigs of RAM
1 80 Gig IDE
1 500 GIG IDE

My questions are these:

What parts of MYTH TV do not work here in NZ?
Seeing as the machine is not exactly the fastest available and I would
prefer to be on Freeview and standard for Prime, what  Combination
Satelite/UHF recievers have a built in mpeg 2 hardware encoder?
Given the above specs what sort of performance can I reasonably expect?
Could I co for 2 Recievers?

Should this system work well I eventually intent to also integrate some
CCTV (1 Cam). I realise that this might be pushing it a little so should
this ever happen I would probably upgrade.

Cheers Guys

Arjan