[mythtvnz] playback issues since moving to 0.21

Jason Haar jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau.org
Sun May 4 02:45:28 BST 2008

Hi there

I have a mythtv backend and two frontends - one being a VIA-based system
running minimyth, and the other being my FC8 laptop (Dell 430 with
i915_dri video card) with atrpm yum repo.

Since upgrading all three to 0.21 (from 0.20), my FC8 laptop has been
unusable as a MythTV frontend. The playback is atrocious. Stuttering,
freezing, audio and video out of sync, etc. Under 0.20 it was
rock-solid. This problem doesn't affect the minimyth frontend, and if I
NFS mount the backend on the laptop and play recordings directly using
xine or mplayer, they work just fine - so I know it's not a direct
hardware problem.

I get errors like the following when I try to play something under
mythfrontend:

NVP: Timed out waiting for free video buffers
First A/V Sync reported error: Bad Context
WriteAudio: buffer underrun
NVP::AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

I've tried a few different "TV Playback" settings, OpenGL vs none, and
even threw out pulseaudio and went back to ALSA (happy with that
decision anyway - more 3rd party apps work now). Games like OpenArena
work just fine, so the video and audio "in general" are not the problem.

Any ideas what magic wand I need to shake to fix this up? Damn annoying
not being able to use myth from my laptop :-)

Thanks!

Jason