[mythtvnz] tuner allocation issue

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Wed Mar 26 00:09:48 GMT 2008

Mark van Dijk wrote:
> Hi all, I have an issue that has occured a couple of times.  I've looked
> around some MythTV sites and forums, but didn't spot anything yet.  Here
> is the scenario:
>

> Note 1:  i have a PVR500 (twin tuner)
> Note 2:  all recordings start/and end 10 mins early/late
>

> 1) schedule recording of show 'A' starting at 6pm finishing at 7pm on TV1
> 2) schedule recording of show 'B' starting at 7pm finishing at 8pm on TV2
>

> A few days later i tried to watch show 'A'.  All was well until 10 mins
> before the end when the recording stopped.  It appears as though MythTV
> used a single tuner to record both of these shows - even though there is
> a 20 minute overlap (10mins start + 10mins end).  The second tuner on my
> system was idle!  i was NOT watching live TV at the time, and there were
> no other recordings active.
>
> If, however, i record two shows that have some actual overlap (not just
> the pre/post pseudo overlap), then MythTV does indeed use both tuners to
> successfully record both shows.
>
> Is this a known issue - or have I perhaps done something dumb?
>
> Cheers
> Mark van Dijk

The setting you changed is a soft pre/post roll. It's suppposed to
behave like that. It was designed for situations where you need the
recording to start a little early because of some external timing issues
(like waiting for a set top box to change channels, or warm up, etc)
This topic is well covered on the main MythTV users list (you can search
the archives at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/ )  8)

If you want it to use different tuners, then you need to set the end
late time on each individual recording.

  - Wade