[mythtvnz] tuner allocation issue

Mark van Dijk mark.van.dijk at ihug.co.nz
Wed Mar 26 00:00:33 GMT 2008

Hi all, I have an issue that has occured a couple of times.  I've looked
around some MythTV sites and forums, but didn't spot anything yet.  Here
is the scenario:

Note 1:  i have a PVR500 (twin tuner)
Note 2:  all recordings start/and end 10 mins early/late

1) schedule recording of show 'A' starting at 6pm finishing at 7pm on TV1
2) schedule recording of show 'B' starting at 7pm finishing at 8pm on TV2

A few days later i tried to watch show 'A'.  All was well until 10 mins
before the end when the recording stopped.  It appears as though MythTV
used a single tuner to record both of these shows - even though there is
a 20 minute overlap (10mins start + 10mins end).  The second tuner on my
system was idle!  i was NOT watching live TV at the time, and there were
no other recordings active.

If, however, i record two shows that have some actual overlap (not just
the pre/post pseudo overlap), then MythTV does indeed use both tuners to
successfully record both shows.

Is this a known issue - or have I perhaps done something dumb?

Cheers
Mark van Dijk