[mythtvnz] (no subject)

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Thu Mar 13 04:00:09 GMT 2008

Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Graeme Woollett <g.woollett at irl.cri.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> 256MB for a backend/frontend box isn't enough, 1GB is comfortable
>>

> I disagree. I ran 256MB in my combined FE/BE for well over a year without
> any issues. I now have 512MB and I'd say that's fine. My advice is that if
> you have 256MB, then try it with that and then buy more if you need it.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Just as another data point: The 2GB I put in my backend saved me quite a
few crashes when everyone was having the issues MythTV and DVB-S signals
about a year ago.

If you are buying new parts, the dollar difference between 256 & 512 is
too small to not do it.  If however you are building this out of parts
you already have, then try the 256 and upgrade if you need it.
Personally I'm with Graeme and have put 1GB (2 x 512) in my second box.

  - Wade